Volunteer as a Receptionist
Volunteering as a Receptionist is rewarding and fun, as well as being essential to the smooth running of our service.
You can read what some have had to say about the role on our Receptionist Feedback page.
The volunteer receptionist is the first point of contact with our clients, so you will need to have a calm and welcoming manner and good communication skills.
People seeking counselling can be uneasy, angry, upset or even embarrassed, and need to be welcomed so that they feel encouraged to come for counselling. We are looking for:
- responsible, committed people who are able to deal with enquiries and clients efficiently
- good listeners with a calm and sympathetic manner as well as having a sense of humour
- confidentiality at all times
- good telephone and administrative skills
- an ability to work as part of a team
- ideally a commitment of at least six months
All volunteer receptionists undergo several sessions of hands-on training, where telephone skills and maintenance of office administrative systems are emphasised.
The office is open from 9.00 am to 9.00 pm Monday to Thursday, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm Friday and Saturday. Most of our Receptionists do one 3-hour session each week or fortnight.
We welcome applications from previous clients of the PF after a period of 18 months.
If you would like to support the PF and its clients in this way, or would like to know more about the role of volunteer receptionists, please click the links below to download an Information Sheet and Application Form, or contact Aileen Murray on:
Telephone: 0131 447 0876 or Email: aileen(at)pfcounselling.org.uk